Singapore Science Centre Omni Theatre
* 7pm and 8pm shows available only on weekends and during school and public holidays.
Screenings and entrance fees are correct as of May 2011. Please call the Omni-Theatre Infoline at +65 6425 2500 for the latest movies, screening times and entrance fees.
(Photo: Stills from the screen of the Singapore Science Centre Omni Theatre)
If you don't know what an IMAX movie is:
Imagine a movie theatre shaped like an ultra-huge balloon. You walk in and sink yourself into a comfy, slightly inclined chair. Then when the lights go off, you watch a panoramic movie on the 180-degree dome-shaped screen.
Then the camera moves and zooms over the Grand Canyon. You grasp the handles of your seat, thinking you're going to fall over, even though you're stationary. Next, a white-water rafting scene on the Colorado River. Your hands go up instinctively to block the splashes, even though there's no water in the theatre.
Well, at least that's what happened to me when I was watching Grand Canyon Adventure at the Omni Theatre.
What I liked about these IMAX movies:
The IMAX movies carry a strong environmental message. And the images are so vivid they stay with you long after you have left the theatre. Today, I can still 'see' those dried-up areas on the Colorado River in my mind.
Tips for Visitors to the Omni Theatre
- The shows all start on the hour. The Omnimax Theatre is a short 3-minute walk from the entrance of the Singapore Science Centre. So adjust your schedule accordingly to be there on time.
- Near the entrance of the Omni Theatre, you could look through a glass wall into the projection room. 15 minutes before and after the show, you could watch the entire process of getting the reels ready for a panoramic movie.
- If you are visiting both the Singapore Science Centre and the Omni Theatre, you could get a combined ticket and save $3.40 per adult ($1.60 per child).
- Consider visiting the Omni Theatre as part of a day trip which also takes in the Singapore Science Centre and Snow City. See this tour plan.
- The Omni Theatre is closed on Monday, except when it is a school/public holiday.
Related to Singapore Omni Theatre
My thanks to the Singapore Science Centre for permission to photograph their premises and publish the images here.
Updated: 5 May 2011.