Mustafa Centre: Where Last-minute Singapore Shopping is Great Fun
"There are only 3 words to describe Mustafa Centre:
variety, variety and variety..."
Why Come Here:
Have you spent so much of your time sight-seeing in Singapore that you've run out of time for shopping? If you have, head for the 24/7 Mustafa Centre.
This is one mega-mall that is hard to beat for variety. Apart from cars and real estate, everything else you need for the house or the body may be found here. The choices are simply amazing. And if you don't want to worry about being cheated, Mustafa Centre is a no-brainer.
You probably won't be very impressed by the presentation of the store. Neither is the service anything to crow about. The aisles are pretty narrow. And the goods are piled up so high that you can't look over them. If you are taking kids to Mustafa Centre, just remember that this is the perfect place to play hide-and-seek. So don't lose them - there are 6 levels spread over 2 interconnected buildings.
While they do stock almost everything, you'd probably be impressed by these:
- Traditional jewellery. Jaw-droppingly wide range of gold bracelets, necklaces and such. You just wonder how this all-in-one store could offer so much of the glittering stuff. You wonder even more who would really buy them. But apparently they do a roaring business for this one.
- Electronic gadgets. Brands such as Canon, Nikon and Sony are found here, alongside the less familiar brands. Mustafa has built up a solid reputation for fair prices. So if you are generally wary of dishonest salespeople, this is the place to shop with peace of mind.
Check out their cameras, camcorders, shavers, walkie-talkies and such. The staff are quite knowledgeable, so they'll help you with voltage and compatibility issues.
- Textiles/Fabrics. I actually heard 2 young ladies squealing in delight as they entered the saree/shawl section. And I could understand why. Variety of material, variety of colours, variety of origins, variety of prices, variety, variety, variety. This section is truly a woman's playground.
Visit Mustafa Centre for that last-minute shopping spree. It doesn't matter whether it's 2pm or 2am...
Mustafa Centre FAQs
- How do Mustafa's prices compare with other shops?
Although they don't allow bargaining, their prices are very competitive. As of 15 May 2008, their price for the Canon FS100 camcorder was S$720, compared to S$799 at both Courts and Harvey Norman.
- Do their goods come with international warranty?
Of course it depends on what you buy. Most of their consumer electronics come with international warranty. The best way to ascertain this is to ask the salespeople, who are quite familiar with this. They'll be able to answer your questions since their customers are both locals and tourists.
- What's the easiest way to get to Mustafa Centre?
Take the MRT to Farrer Park MRT Station. (See directions above.)
- Is it safe to visit the area around Mustafa after midnight?
Mustafa and the surrounding area is safe 24/7. In fact, you'd be surprised to see how many people go there to have late night supper. There are many nice eateries in the area. Of course, like any where else in the world, exercise commonsense travel precaution, like not walking through quiet unlit alleys at night.
(I apologise if I sound as if I have a stake in this business. The truth is I wished I had. But it's quite a fascinating place for me.)
See where Mustafa Centre ranks in the list of Singapore's Best Shopping Spots.
10 Nuggets of Singapore Shopping Wisdom