Sim Lim Square - for the Best-priced Consumer Electronics in Singapore
"Shopping for consumer electronics in Singapore?
Prices at Sim Lim Square are hard to beat!"
Browsers at Sim Lim Square, Singapore
Just where is the best place to buy electronics in Singapore?
Many will tell you that it's Sim Lim Square. And it's hard to dispute this claim. Sim Lim Square is the reason why the locals don't go to Orchard Road or Suntec City for their electronics shopping fix. It has got 6 levels of shopping dedicated to all things electronics - cameras, video equipment, computers, and all the associated accessories.
For variety and price, Sim Lim Square is hard to beat if you are looking for electronics in Singapore. But there's a little caveat. Please read on...
Some Tips for Visitors
- Don't expect too much of the customer service at Sim Lim Square. Remember that you are here to get basement prices for electronics in Singapore. Don't imagine that you are at the Ritz Carlton.
- Compare prices before buying. The shops are all in the same location. So it's easy to move from one shop to another and ask about prices. It's fine to ask a shop what its best price is, move on to other shops and go back to the shop with the best offer.
- Always ask if GST (Goods and Services Tax) is included in the price quoted. Some shops have the habit of giving you a 'good price', only to tell you that they need to add GST to it just before you pay.
- If you are tourist, look out for shops participating in the GST Refund schemes. These shops will display the tax refund signs: 'Tax Free', 'Premier Tax Free'. Some shops run their own GST refund schemes - so do ask.
- For big ticket items, create your own 'wish list' and check their prices back home before arriving in Singapore. That way, you'll know whether you are really getting a bargain. Buying electronics in Singapore is largely a positive experience. But there are always a few dubious salespeople who will try to pull a fast one on you.
- A few of the salespeople at Level 1 will try to 'upsell', i.e. sell you add-ons to what you've already bought. Just be careful. Most times these add-ons are of unfamiliar brands. And their prices are marked up to increase profit margins.
- How do you know which shops to trust?
- When you arrive at Sim Lim Square, visit the information counter. Ask them for a list of STARetailers. These are shops that have maintained good customer relationships over the years.
- Go to online forums that focus on electronics in Singapore, such as HardwareZone and VR-Zone. Many shoppers share their experiences here - where they get a good bargain and where they have been cheated.
A Few Shops You Can Trust
There are obviously many other respectable shops here. But these are a few where I've had positive shopping experience:
Cameras, Camcorders and Accessories
Alan Photo, Address: 01-38.
Computer Peripherals & Accessories
1. ATF Multimedia Accessories: 04-65.
2. M Technic Resources: 04-02E, 05-55.
Computer Components and Custom Assembly of Computers
1. Fuwell International: 04-51.
2. Bizgram: 05-50.