Customs and Cigars Regulation for Singapore Transit T2 - T1

by Steve
(USA)

I will be arriving at midnight from Hong Kong at Changi T2 and leave at 10am to Bali from T1. I am on a 3 week vacation and would like to bring 40 cigars with me. Do I have to go through custom in order to catch my connecting flight to Bali? And if so, I guess I would have to pay tax for 40 cigars though taking them out at the same day to Bali.

Comments for
Customs and Cigars Regulation for Singapore Transit T2 - T1

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 22, 2009
Handling Cigars During Singapore Transit
by: Gabriel Tan

Hi Steve

1. If you are technically on a transit stopover - i.e. on a single ticket with the same airline - the boarding pass for your onward flight to Bali is likely to be issued to you when you check in at Hong Kong Airport.

In this case, your airline will transfer your checked luggage onto the connecting flight and you need not clear customs - just head for the gate to board the Bali-bound flight.

(You need to verify the above information with your airline during check in at Hong Kong.)

2. If you have bought 2 separate tickets (HKG-SIN & SIN-BALI separately), you need to clear customs and re-check in.

In this case, you need to declare your cigars at the Red Channel and pay duties/taxes. Ask the customs officers if there's a way around it since you are taking the cigars out of the country.

The transit areas of all the 3 main terminals at Singapore Changi Airport are inter-connected.

There are left luggage facilities within the transit area. You might want to leave your cigars at one of the left luggage facilities there and then collect them after you've got back in again. In this way, you avoid having to take the cigars through customs.

Dec 23, 2009
Cigars and Transfer Changi
by: steve

I don't really want to leave the transit area, so what you mentioned is the transit areas T2-T1 are interconnected. That means if I don't go outside the airport I will not have to clear customs.

My flights are United to Singapore and Air Asia to Bali, so I will leave the luggage with the cigars at Lost and Found and pick it up about 2 hrs before departure. There is one more question: whats the approx. transfer time from T2-T1?

Thank you so much for your help!

Dec 23, 2009
Clear Customs and Re Check In for Air Asia

You wrote: "I don't really want to leave the transit area, so what you mentioned is the transit areas T2-T1 are interconnected. That means if I don't go outside the airport I will not have to clear for Custom." >> Please note that this is NOT true in your case.

Because you are using 2 different flights, you need to clear immigration checks, collect your checked luggage, take the Skytrain from T2 to T1, and re-check in for your Air Asia flight.

It is impossible to collect your checked-in luggage without first clearing immigration checks. In other words, you'll need to effectively enter Singapore.

The transfer from T2 to T1 by Skytrain is likely to take you about 15 minutes, including walking and waiting.

Dec 23, 2009
Cigars Changi International
by: Steve

Thanks, what I have to know is there a duty free shop on T1 which sells cigars, because in this case I will arrive with maybe only with 2 and purchase a box there. I apprecciate finding that out for me. Thank you so much!

Dec 27, 2009
Cigars Available at DFS Galleria Terminal 3

After clearing departure procedures, take the Skytrain to Terminal 3. There you may get your cigars from Duty Free Galleria.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Singapore Travel FAQs.

Subscribe: XML RSS

TRAVEL PREPARATIONS

VIRTUAL TOURS

HERITAGE & CULTURE

ANIMALS & NATURE

SHOP, DINE & PARTY

INTERACT WITH US

SUBSCRIBE TO
ETOUR SINGAPORE

XML RSS