About Singapore Transport, Package Tours and Itineraries
Hi, I really enjoyed visiting your website. It's very informative and I'm grateful I was able to find you in the net.
Me and my partner, together with her mom (65 yrs old) will visit Singapore this December.
They will both come from the Philippines and I will be coming from Darwin, Australia. We'll be staying at the Fragrance Hotel Selegie, estimated check in time will be 8pm on 21 Dec.
They will arrive at Singapore Airport earlier than me at around 5pm. My ETA from Darwin is at 710pm. They will just wait for me at the airport so we could go together to the hotel in one taxi.
Transport to Singapore Airport
We will take a taxi from the airport and are planning to just take the MRT from the hotel to the airport on the 24th Dec to catch the 5.45pm flight going to Manila.
Your input on the latter will be very much appreciated as I do not know if that is possible with the hotel distance from the MRT (NE7) station (to walk from the hotel to the MRT station with our luggage). If not, could we take a taxi from the hotel going to the MRT station? Or better for us to book a taxi?
From your hotel (Fragrance Hotel Selegie), it's a 3-minute walk to Little India MRT Station. If you only have small pieces of luggage, this should not be a problem.
But you have too many things to carry - e.g. your luggage + shopping - this might be a hassle. Don't forget that you'll need to change trains to get to the airport:
Little India Station >> Outram Station >> Tanah Merah Station >> Changi Airport Station.
(There's a shorter route with change of trains at Dhoby Ghaut, but it'll mean a longer walk at the station and more changes of trains.)
If you plan on using the taxi, take it all the way to the airport. It doesn't make sense to take a taxi to a nearby MRT station.
It's usually quite easy to get a taxi in Singapore on a normal afternoon. But you are departing on Christmas Eve. This might pose a problem as you'll be competing with party goers and office workers who are getting half day off.
You might want to consider phone-booking a taxi and pay the extra $3 to $5 to secure your journey to the airport. Call Comfort/City Cab Hotline (6552 1111) about 15 minutes before you need the taxi.
You hotel may be willing to do the call for you, but tell them you want a normal taxi or they might call for a limousine!
Refining My Singapore Tour Itinerary
I was able to visit Singapore 2x already but on a work related trip and that was I think 5 years ago. But both of them are first timers. That's why we still need your advice and would very much appreciate it.
I am planning to take them to the following:
1. Singapore Zoo or Jurong Bird Park or Night Safari
2. Sentosa (afternoon tour/to see the Underwater World and the musical fountain show)
3. Merlion Park, and
4. High tea at the Equinox Restaurant
We also plan to do the following:
5. Clothes shopping (bargain prices please)
6. Lau Pa Sat or Clarke Quay
7. Stroll down the Orchard road at night time for picture taking (Can we walk from the hotel to Orchard Road?).
1. After checking into your hotel on the first evening, you could take a stroll on Serangoon Road and the surrounding side streets in Little India. There are many bargain shops selling clothes along Serangoon Road. Further down the road is the famous Mustafa Centre.
2. Combine your trip the Zoo or Night Safari with a stopover at Ang Mo Kio Town Centre (MRT: Ang Mo Kio). There are shops here where you may snag a good bargain. Venture beyond Ang Mo Kio Hub (a big shopping centre) to the shops in the surrounding plaza.
Visit these shops after your trip to the Zoo or before your trip to the Night Safari.
From Ang Mo Kio Bus Interchange, Bus Number 138 takes you to the Zoo/Night Safari.
3. The musical fountain show at Sentosa has been replaced by 'Songs of the Sea' - a more sophisticated pyrotechnic show. Entrance fee applies but it's quite enchanting.
4. Clarke Quay or Lau Pa Sat? Lau Pa Sat provides a more authentic experience of local food. Clarke Quay is more upmarket and provides a lovely riverside ambience.
5. Walk from Little India to Orchard Road? It's a nice long walk, but try this when you're not travelling with an elderly person. I recommend you take the MRT to Orchard Station, which near the 'heart' of the Christmas Light Up.
Package Tours and Car Rental
Is it better to book on a tour for the three of us or do it on our own since MRT station is just near our hotel? Recommended package deals will be very much appreciated.
How about car rental to take us anywhere like probably on a half day tour? Would you recommend it? Would appreciate details of recommended transport on how to get there (from one place to the other).
Neither a package tour nor a rental car is necessary for the places you plan to visit. Use the MRT and taxis.
Have a great holiday in Singapore.
Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.